Backpackers caught in suspected faulty e-bike battery explosion in Sydney hostel

One person injured and 70 evacuated during the Darlinghurst blaze which is believed to have been sparked by a lithium battery


Authorities have released footage of the moment two backpackers were caught in a fireball when a lithium-ion battery exploded inside a Sydney hostel.

The hostel in Darlinghurst caught on fire on Wednesday, with 22 firefighters and six fire trucks responding to the incident just after 9am.


Fire and Rescue NSW said the blaze is suspected to have been sparked by a faulty e-bike battery left on charge.